Consumer Protection BC
Consumer Protection BC is the regulator of a variety of sectors and specific types of consumer transactions in British Columbia.
Our purpose is to license and inspect regulated businesses, respond to consumer inquiries, investigate alleged violations of consumer protection laws and educate consumers and businesses about their rights and responsibilities. Our vision is a province where all citizens of BC are empowered in their transactions as a result of rigorous and consistent business compliance and through the provision of information.
In the public interest and through the authority delegated by the Province of British Columbia, Consumer Protection BC is responsible for administering three Acts and a variety of regulations. We operate using a cost-recovery model and are financed primarily through licensing revenues of the industries we regulate.
What we do
We deliver consumer protection services throughout British Columbia by:
- Educating consumers and businesses about their rights and responsibilities
- Responding to inquiries and complaints from BC consumers and businesses
- Licensing specific businesses and occupations
- Inspecting licensed businesses and occupations to ensure they are following BC’s consumer protection laws
- Investigating alleged violations of consumer protection laws, then resolving through progressive enforcement
- Classifying all motion pictures exhibited in BC
- Overseeing all retail adult video products sold or rented to consumers through listed establishments
- Providing recommendations to government regarding enhancements to consumer protection laws